THE ART AND CRAFT OF THE PRESS RELEASE: What the Pros Know
Saturday, July 19, 2008
A few years ago we didn’t know what a blog was; now everyone needs one. A few weeks ago, no one heard of Twitter; now if you don’t “twitter,” you’re behind the times. Minute-by-minute changes in technology are dramatically changing the focus of the all-purpose press release.
The Independent Writers of Southern California (IWOSC) presents veteran publicist and consultant Flo Selfman – aided by many of her colleagues’ results-getting techniques – who will help you craft the best press release for your message, and provide pointers for getting your word out to the right places.
You will learn:
- how to decide on your message
- different types of press releases
- how to incorporate your talking points into your press release
- the most important element of the press release
- what to include; what to leave out
- one way to be sure your press release gets used
- one way to be sure your press release never gets used
- how to emphasize “the copper bottom”
- when and how to tell the truth
- when and how to use graphics
Once you’ve written your release, what do you do with it?
- types of outlets
- where to get media and mailing lists
- timing and deadlines
- handling a crisis
Whether you’ve never written a press release before, or are looking for ways to improve the existing releases, don’t miss this information-packed seminar.
Flo Selfman is a public relations consultant specializing in books, authors, and arts events. She also proofreads and copyedits scripts, manuscripts, newsletters, web copy, and other written material. A longtime member of Book Publicists of Southern California (and winner of the IRWIN Award for Best Book Tie-In Campaign 2005) and Entertainment Publicists Professional Society, she’s on the home stretch of her fourth year as IWOSC president.
This topic will be continued at IWOSC’s July 28 Marketing panel, so plan to attend both events.