Grammar for Grownups: Painless Grammar and Punctuation Review for Writers
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Back by popular demand is “Grammar for Grownups: A Painless Grammar and Punctuation Review for Writers,” offered by Independent Writers of Southern California (IWOSC). Presenter is Flo Selfman, public relations consultant, proofreader/copyeditor and sixth-year IWOSC president.
Has the lazy language of email and texting made your professional communications sloppy? Do you agonize every time you prepare an article or a query letter because you’re afraid it contains grammar and punctuation errors? Are your skills a little rusty?
Seminar participants will gain grammar confidence in a review of few simple rules that can correct dozens of the most commonly made errors in written and spoken communication. Topics to be covered include:
· 10 common grammar and punctuation errors to avoid
· How to error-proof a manuscript
· Why spell-check isn’t enough (or, when is a rose not a rose?)
· Why grammar and punctuation matter
· My computer has a dictionary; what else do I need?
· Coping with current trends in language
· And more!
The seminar incorporates class exercises and useful handouts, and the opportunity to have your grammar, syntax, and punctuation questions answered.
Seminar presenter FLO SELFMAN is a public relations consultant with more than twenty years experience creating and implementing PR campaigns for entertainment, literary and lifestyle clients. Her press kits have received awards. She is a consultant on all aspects of publishing, marketing and publicity for self-published authors and small publishing companies. Her new writing-editing service (with Roberta Edgar) is Words a la Mode.
A native of Ohio, Selfman has a B.A. in Psychology from UCLA, a California Secondary Teaching Credential, and the Instructor Development Certificate from UCLA Extension. This is her sixth year as president of IWOSC.
What they say about her workshops:
- “The grammar class was fabulous. Thanks for all the preparation!! Loved every bit of it!”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed your class. Please let me know when you have more”.
- “Excellent course. A wide array of topics. Well-presented. Answered a lot of questions.”
- “GREAT, FANTASTIC FUN!! Teaching with humor always gets the point across.”