The IWOSC Marketing Intensive 2017 Edition
Prepare, Plan & Produce The Perfect Book Marketing Campaign
Saturday, July 15, 2017
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Jump down to register
Member $125 • Nonmember $175
Last year, IWOSC offered an intensive, all-day seminar on the foundations of marketing your writing. Organizing yourself for success. Putting together a realistic marketing plan. Creating a platform that engages your audience and sells books.
This year, we want to dig deeper and focus on some actual book marketing CASE STUDIES.
- Why has book marketing radically changed in just the past year? What book marketing opportunities exist in 2017?
- How are writers actually doing publicity campaigns today?
- What are people doing with Amazon, email, social media and their own websites to get greater exposure and sell even more books?
Presenting all new material, our three experts will walk you through case studies of what traditionally and self-published writers are doing TODAY. Whether this is your first time, or you are building upon what you learned last year, this is your chance to learn what works in the hectic and every changing world of disappearing bookstores, Amazon ascendancy and today’s abundant and inexpensive marketing opportunities.
We will take breaks, time for lunch, and provide plenty of time for your questions. The content is all new, real-world/not theory, and the day has been priced at a fraction of its value with a big Early Bird discount and also an IWOSC member discount.
We know that you will be impressed, enlightened, and, more to the point, equipped with new ideas, new tools, and the counsel of three top people.
The morning will be sectioned into three sessions, with three group sessions in the afternoon.
- Session 1: Professionalization of Self-Publishing: How Authors Can Compete with Publishers
- Session 2: From the Trenches: 4 Case Studies of Book Marketing Success
- Session 3: Platforms That Work: Platform Pieces That Perform
- Session 4: Your Questions: Ask the Experts
- Session 5: Group Session: The Experts Collaborate
- Session 6: Intensive Wrap-Up: If You Only Take Away One Thing…
Session 1: THE PROFESSIONALIZATION OF SELF-PUBLISHING: How Authors Can Compete with Publishers
Authors are becoming increasingly savvy about how they create and launch books. Yet as new marketing and distribution options roll out, Amazon continues to dominate. What are the secrets of success? We’ll pull back the covers and study the strategies and tactics of other author/publishers that have professionalized their approach to publishing.
- The 5 things pro authors do to maximize book launch success.
- How combining one book promotion with optimized metadata created a near-best seller for a 2-year-old book.
- Tips and steps to republishing an out-of-print book.
- Why distribution must be your first consideration.
- How marketing can be intertwined with book production to improve your odds of success.
DAVID WOGAHN has helped more than 100 authors and businesses publish more than 250 books under their own self-publishing imprint. He is the author of Register Your Book: The Essential Guide to ISBNs, Barcodes, Copyright and LCCNs and a publishing course for Lynda.com, and has been an instructor for IBPA Publishing University.
Session 2: FROM THE TRENCHES: 4 Case Studies of Book Marketing Success
Would you like to see an inside look into another author’s’ book marketing campaign to see what REALLY works? This presentation will cover four case studies across a wide range of genres and publishing setups to outline how to plan and execute a successful book marketing campaign, tailored to your book and platform.
You will learn:
- The basics of brand and message
- How to tailor your book marketing campaign to your budget, needs, and goals
- How to leverage your platform for media coverage and connections with influencers
- Social media trends and how to effectively apply them to your campaign
- Media trends and how to leverage them for reviews and media coverage
- How to harness the power of video for your book campaign
- How to build legs for your book for years to come
JULIA DRAKE is the co-founder of Wildbound PR, a California-based literary publicity company that works with authors across the globe to gain exposure for their work via traditional and digital media press campaigns, social media marketing, innovative book tours, author websites and promotional videos. Julia has spoken at Independent Writers of Southern California, the Women’s National Book Association, the San Francisco Writer’s Conference, and the California Writer’s Club and writes for Publishers Weekly and Writer’s Digest.
Session 3: PLATFORMS THAT WORK: Platform Pieces That Perform
The key to effective marketing is connecting with your audience. As every writer is different, your Platform may be composed of different elements than someone else’s. There are some things, however, that have proven to be more effective than others. We’ll discuss the ones that are worth your time and effort and maybe even some financial investment. From Amazon Author Pages that perform, to websites that work and social media that sells, we’ll examine several examples of what successful authors are running today and break down why they work and how you can do the same.
- What you can include on your Amazon Author Page
- Why you should have a website and what you can do with it
- What marketing activities writers should actually do themselves
- Which social media networks work best for marketing your books
- How writers are using video to reach and engage readers
- Why building a list is critical to your marketing success
- How email marketing campaigns build lists and sell books
STEVEN SANCHEZ is a frequent speaker at PALA and IWOSC events, a bestselling author and technical editor, and a consultant on all things Internet. In addition to more than 20 years developing web sites and solutions for industry-leading companies such as Crystal Cruises and the National Hot Rod Association, the Internet agency he founded helps companies integrate Internet technologies with their existing operations, marketing, and workflow.
* * Lunch Break (Please bring your own lunch) * *
Session 4: YOUR QUESTIONS: Ask the Experts
After lunch, we’ll take specific questions from the audience on individual issues or anything from the presentation. All three Experts will be on hand to answer and comment.
Session 5: GROUP SESSION: The Experts Collaborate
Next, our panel of Experts will discuss together the topics that have been presented earlier and help the audience bring everything together.
Session 6: INTENSIVE WRAP-UP: If you only take away one thing…
The final session of the day will be each presenter’s summation and call to action. After everything has been presented and discussed, each Expert will share their personal passion about what writers should do now. They’ll help break down all that has been presented into an actionable takeaway so you can start moving on something significant immediately.
With every expert’s session comes an action guide (PDF) – a short summary with key takeaways from each session to make learning easier and implementation quicker by giving you the top actionable tactics.
- The room will be set up classroom style so you can comfortably use your laptop or tablet, or simply write notes. We will do our best to supply power to you, but please charge your laptop completely.
- At Snack Breaks, we’ll provide some snacks. We invite you to bring water or a soft drink for yourself and a few more snacks to keep you going.
- Layer your clothing. The temperature in the rooms at the Veterans can vary from time to time.
- To protect people’s computers, phones, and property, we cannot have open cups or cans on the desks or floor.